Writing a business or executive report? Here's a few tips.
Keep the purpose of the report in mind when writing it...ask the person who requested it what they are expecting to see in the report and how they plan to use the document.....define the objective of the report.
The following tips will guide you in discerning what data to include:-
- Stick to the objectives of the report, unless there is a specific request for personal opinions.
- Reports are meant to be fact-based and most importantly impartial.
- Make sure that you double-check your content....read it to see if you have your own personal biases coming through on paper.
- If your opinions are requested stick to professional opinions substantiated by facts.
- Know who you are writing to.... determine how best to address this audience.
- Define the tone, the attitude, and the emphasis and gear it towards your readers.
"What a lot we lost when we stopped writing letters. You can’t reread a phone call" William Zinsser